Saturday, August 25, 2007

FOODHYPE: Wild Lemons


They're ugly and huge and the juice-to-peel ratio is much lower than in an "industrial" lemon -- but the juice is sweeter and the price is right.

If you've been paying as much as a buck each for lemons from your local mega-market, you should really stop, and do what I did. I asked my neighbor Bob, on whose property there stands a huge old lemon tree, if he would mind if I harvested a few from time to time. Bob was very agreeable to this idea, and now I stop by every few days and grab some of these monster lemons. They ain't pretty, but they taste great and make the sweetest lemonade you've ever had.

Most neighborhoods around here have someone like Bob, who would be glad if you helped him harvest his lemons. Down with the mega-lemon-growers! Free lemons for the people!

Watch out for the spiders and thorns...

No comments: