Sunday, February 10, 2008

FOODHYPE: Moules, Frites en Bier, Belgian Style













I had always been impressed by the great brewers of Europe: the English, the Germans, and others to the East, but the more I look into it, the more it seems that the true masters of the art are the Belgians. When I realized these Flemish madmen (and women, no doubt) had also originated the crispy golden fried potato dish we all refer to as French fries, I realized the Belgians had not gotten their fair share of Hype over the years, despite getting more than their share of a couple of World Wars.

Truth be told, they even get a little freaky for me with the chocolate and caramel beers, but props: Belgian beer, fries, and mussels is perhaps the greatest beer-related dietary innovation known to man, narrowly beating out the brilliant Japanese contribution of beer, sake, and sushi. I recommend a cool Delerium Tremens Triple Trappist Ale.

From the experts at BeerAdvocate.com

Poured from a 12oz bottle from behind the bar into a Delirium Tremens tulip. I wish they had let me pour it for it was served to me with not much head. This is my first belgian strong pale ale so I'm learning here. A - beutiful hazy gold color with champaign bubbles. Great lacing. S - fruity essence of orange and maybe some raspberry. I actually smell some wheat presence T - Much like the smell, which I think is always good. It's like your nose and mouth are in harmony. I really taste some orange going on here with a hint of raspberry. This tastes very much like champaigne with grand marnier mixed in... but so much better. Dry like champaigne but not as dry. Crisp, refreshing. I don't taste the alcohol much at all. Gets less dry as it warms and the fruitiness mellows out. M - feels like champaign with mouth-tingling carbonation. A great sipper. Dry, yet quenches. This is a very interesting beer for me as it is my first Belgian strong Pale Ale. I really like it. Others around me at the bar thought it was wierd, but I'll definitely drink again.

You can tell by the spelling, it's a great Strong Pale Ale.

No doubt, if you're in Brussels, you can get some excellent Moules, Frites en Bier at this place:














Since over 30 years the tavern-restaurant the « Frederiksborg », facing the imposing Koekelberg church














welcomes you in its charming and warm atmosphere.

The tavern and its cuisine are open MO - TH from 7h - 2h and FR - SU from 7h - 3h. We still offer you the quality service and efficiency for which we are known since the opening in 1975.

But if you're stuck in Oakland, you can always check out Luka's:








Luka's the dog...

Check out Luka's FAQ

I can testify that it's a very pleasant environment, and the authentic Belgian beer and fries are excellent... but it is downtown Oaktown, and it is a hip-hop club late in the evening, so if you just want to chill at a window seat with some fries, get there before 9. Flat-screen Samsungs over the bar provide a great view of the Warriors in HD. Luka's... I'm getting hungry just writing this review.

More than you ever wanted to know about Belgian beer
from Wikipedia

An example:

Distinct from Trappist beers (see below), Abbey beers (Bières d’Abbaye or Abdijbier) are brewed by commercial brewers, and license their name from abbeys, some defunct, some still operating. The most internationally well-known brand of Abbey beer is Inbev's Leffe. Others include Grimbergen, Tripel Karmeliet, Maredsous, Watou, Saint-Feuillien, Floreffe, and Val-Dieu.

Abbey beers mainly came into being following World War II when Trappist beers experienced a new popularity. The Abbey beers were developed to take advantage of the public's interest in the Trappist beers. This is why the single key component of an Abbey beer is its name: there is always the name of a monastery (either real or fictious). Like the Trappist beers, Abbey beers do not connote a beer style, but rather a general type of beer.

Belgian-Beer.net

1 comment:

Just Me said...

I am getting hungry reading it!! Promise you will take me out when I come visit.